Tonight's the night! Who is going to see me model my trashy (get it?) couture at the ?
I asked what they learned about sewing duct tape and plastic. Here’s what they said:
- You can sew plastic, but you cannot sew duct tape. The needle just won’t go through.
- Thinner plastic sews better, but if it’s too thin, your model’s underthings might show through!
- If your plastic is wrinkled, ironing it works really well! Just use a silicone pressing cloth or else the iron “melts it a wee bit,” says designer Sue Thomas. Hanging the plastic in the sun also helps with wrinkles.
- There is no “grain” to plastic, the way there is with fabric, so you can sew it any way you want. Just be aware of the plastic’s stretch.
- Invest in double-sided tape! The lace on the wedding dress is entirely attached with tape.
To see these tips in action, come to the Salvation Army's Garbage Bag Gala at 7 p.m. July 27 at the Moonrise Hotel in the Delmar Loop.
Read more about tonight's event here: