Welcome to the best unofficial holiday in the bi-state area. It's Opening Day in Cardinal Nation and the University City Patch is bringing you five things to know for today.
- Festivities begin early in the day but game time is 2:15 p.m.
- St. Louis Cardinals ace Adam Wainwright is making the opening day start of his career. He will face Jeff Samardzija of the Chicago Cubs.
- The Cardinals are already on top of the National League's Central Division with their 2012 record of 5-2.
- This will be the first game in Busch Stadium for new manager Mike Matheny.
- The Boathouse in Forest Park has a home opener special of a free appetizer. Anyone who presents a ticket stub for the home opener after the game is eligible for a free appetizer until 9 p.m. One appetizer per ticket stub holder.
Schedule of Events
According to the St. Louis Cardinals, the following is the schedule of events for Opening Day festivities.
10 a.m. – 1 p.m.
- Cardinals official Opening Day Pre-Game Pep Rally. The pre-game pep rally will be in the Ballpark Village Lot, across from Busch Stadium.(Clark Street and South Broadway.)
- Trixie Delight will perform from 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- Fredbird will give away Opening Day tickets, autographed items and other prizes.
- Fans can get their picture taken for free at the Hardee’s Photo Booth.
- Gates open.
- All fans with a ticket ages 21 and over will receive a magnet with the 2012 Cardinals schedule.
- Pre-game ceremonies begin with an appearance by the Budweiser Clydesdales.
- Cardinals Hall-of-Famers will be introduced via a motorcade.
- Video tribute to the 2011 World Champions.
- Cardinals will escort the last four World Championship trophies: Mike Shannon (1967); Tommy Herr (1982); David Eckstein and Jim Edmonds (2006); and Tony La Russa and Dave Duncan (2011).
- The World Champion St. Louis Cardinals via motorcade.
- The family of U.S. Army Specialist Jeffrey L. White, Jr. will raise the 2011 World Championship banner in left field.
- American Bald Eagle flight, courtesy of the World Bird Sanctuary of St. Louis.
- Color Guard presented by The U.S. Marine Corps
- A moment of silence to former Cardinals pitcher Bob Forsch
- Shannon Magrane, singer and Season 11 contestant on American Idol, will sing the national anthem.
- U.S. Air Force Flyover
- Ceremonial first pitch.
- Play ball.