The Missouri Department of Transportation (MoDOT) has delayed a planned weekend closure of Interstate 64 downtown until Feb. 1.
The department will now close all lanes and ramps of Interstate 64 in both directions downtown between Hampton and Forest Park Parkway at 8 p.m. Friday, Feb. 1.
The closure is weather permitting and may be delayed due to temperatures or significant precipitation.
While the interstate is closed, crews will remove the Taylor and Newstead bridges over I-64 as part of a project to construct a new interchange at Tower Grove and Boyle and replace four bridges over the interstate. The ramps from McCausland, Skinker, Hampton and Kingshighway to eastbound I-64 will be closed during this time. In addition, the ramps from Pine, Jefferson, Market and Grand to westbound I-64 will be closed during this time.
Crews will reopen the interstate and all ramps by 3 a.m. Monday, Feb. 4.
The detour for westbound I-64 is for drivers to exit the interstate at the Forest Park Avenue (exit 38A) and follow Forest Park Avenue to Kingshighway. After turning left onto Kingshighway, drivers will follow Kingshighway back to the interstate. The detour for eastbound I-64 will be to exit the interstate at the Hampton Avenue (exit 34B), turn right on Hampton and follow it to eastbound Interstate 44. Drivers can then take I-44 to the Poplar Street Bridge. Detour maps are available on-line
After the interstate reopens Monday, Feb. 4, drivers will have three 10-foot lanes in each direction of I-64 between Kingshighway and Vandeventer. Traffic will also shift to the middle of the interstate.
Motorists should be aware of the following on-going closures:
- I-64, St. Louis City, the Vandeventer ramp to westbound I-64 closes Friday night at 7 p.m. and will remain closed until late 2013.
- I-64, St. Louis City, 3 a.m. until November 2013, drivers in both directions will have three shifted, 10-foot lanes between Kingshighway to Vandeventer. The rightmost lane of eastbound I-64 will exit at Hampton.
- I-70, St. Louis City, the exit ramp from westbound I-70 to Madison will remain closed until Sunday. The ramp will close weekdays between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m.
- Wellington, St. Louis City, the Wellington bridge closed over the River Des Peres until April 2013. Detour to Jamieson Avenue bridge.
- I-70, (westbound section of the Interstate 70 Blanchette bridge over the Missouri River) will remain closed until fall 2013. The eastbound I-70 bridge has three lanes of traffic in each direction. The ramp from northbound 5th Street to eastbound I-70 is closed until fall 2013.