A gas leak near in St. Louis that began around 2 p.m. was contained around 7 p.m.
Laclede Gas crews were able to shut off a gas main near the ruptured line about 7 p.m., choking off fuel for the fire, St. Louis fire department Capt. Dan Sutter told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.
Firefighters from St. Louis and responded shortly before 3 p.m. on Thursday to a gas leak and fire in the 5600 block of Enright Avenue.
Dep. Chief Brian Walsh of the St. Louis Fire Department told Patch the leak was detected around 2 p.m. and the lines burst into flames just before 3 p.m.
"There are five lines running into the area," he said.
Three lines were clamped off fairly quickly, but Laclede crews had to dig trenches to clamp off the other two lines that fed the fire.
Residents of St. Luke's Plaza Apartments were evacuated while crews fought the blaze. The fire is across the street from the complex.
"Our big concern is preventing the building from catching fire," Walsh said. "If it goes, it could start a chain reaction."
A car in the area was damaged by the high heat before it could be moved away from the leak.
Two blocks on Delmar Blvd. were shut down for several hours because hose lines were running across the streets. Traffic was diverted around the blaze and back into University City.