Welcome to Holiday Happenings, a daily column that will give you five ideas of ways to shop in University City for those you love this holiday season. Each weekday Patch will have ideas for gifts based on a theme—sports lover, outdoorsman, the reader or last-minute gifts.
To kick things off, we thought we would look at worthy causes to give to this holiday season. What better gift to give the person that has everything than the gift of charity? Donate to a worthy cause in a friend or loved one's name.
Here are five non-profit organizations that could benefit from your gift this year.
- Operation Food Search: Since 1981, Operation Food Search has been at the forefront of the battle to ensure the poor and hungry have access to food. All distributions are free of charge. The food bank is located on Olive Boulevard in University City. Operation Food Search serves pantries, soup kitchens and homeless shelters in 31 counties in Missouri and Illinois.
- MERS/Missouri Goodwill: MERS/Missouri Goodwill is a charitable organization with numerous store and donation locations based in the area, including one located in University City. The organization offers a place where goods can be exchanged and offers professional attire, designer clothes, teen clothes, vintage items and more.
- Respond: Respond is a child welfare agency that raises awareness of the need for foster and adoptive families in St. Louis. The advocacy group has successfully backed needed policy changes in the state and the city. The headquarters is located in the ATT building on Delmar in the Loop. For more information on how to get involved, call directly.
- Sutter Social Services: Sutter Social Services is affiliated with the Sutter Presbyterian Church. The social service center runs a commissary out of 6505 Bartmer Ave., which gives out food to families by referral only. The commissary also provides clothing, furniture and personal care to needy families all year long.
- Youth Emergency Service: Youth Emergency Service is more than a facility in the Loop of University City. The organization seeks to help youth and families break down barriers and search for solutions. Thousands are reached each year for shelter, family reunification therapy, transitional and independent living and other programs. to bringing about a world class parks and recreations department. The group raises both awareness and money for the city parks.
Do you know of other great organizations in U City that could use holiday help? Tell us in the comments.