Who is the best mayor in the St. Louis area? According to Riverfront Times readers, it is University City's own Shelley Welsch.
Welsch was named best mayor 2012 in the RFT's annual "Best Of" contest. The story on Welsch's win cited her instrumental leadership during the planning phases of the Loop Trolley project.
Quoting from the RFT story:
Since taking office in April 2011, Welsch's team has also reworked U. City's budget, turning a $2 million deficit into a projected $500,000 surplus for the 2013 fiscal year. Last year Welsch also pushed for a bill that made University City the first suburb in St. Louis to set up a domestic-partnerships registry to recognize the rights of same-sex couples. Not afraid of controversy, Welsch has turned to her blog From the Mayor's Desk to address (that is, scold) officials who aren't marching in step. Her pointed comments and frank criticisms remind us of the wise words of Tina Fey: Bitch is the new black.
Other local winners include:
- Best Fresh Seafood Counter — Bob's Seafood
- Best Greek Restaurant — Momo's Ouzaria Taverna
- Best Comic Book Store — Star Clipper
- Best Place for a First Date — Blueberry Hill
- Best Tattoo Parlor — Iron Age
- Best Cupcakes — Jilly's Cupcake Bar and Cafe
- Best Neighborhood Bar — Three Kings Public House
- Best Jazz Artist — Peter Martin
- Best Indian Restaurant — House of India
- Best Take-Out Counter (gourmet) — Winslow's Home
- Best Asian Market — Seafood City
- Best Tennis Courts — Heman Park
- Best Place to Watch People — Delmar Loop
- Best Mexican Restaurant — Mi Ranchito
- Best New Restaurant — Nico
- Best All Ages Venue/Best Rock Club — The Pageant
- Best Live Sound Engineer — Pancho at Blueberry Hill