U City Man Charged With Sixth Stealing Offense Since 2009
Calvin S. Williams also was on probation for a burglary in University City when police said he tried to steal athletic shoes from Sports Authority in Kirkwood.
A University City man has been charged with his sixth stealing offense after being accused of shoplifting.
Calvin S. Williams, 32, of the 7300 block of Tulane Avenue in University City, was charged Wednesday with stealing as a third offense, a class D felony.
Security personnel saw him remove a security sensor from a pair of Asics athletic shoes and brought the shoes for a refund. Security personnel called the cashier and told her not to complete the transaction, and Williams grabbed the shoes and ran from the store, police said.
Bridgeton Police later arrested Williams, according to a court document.
Williams also has five previous stealing convictions:
- On Nov. 21, 2011, he pleaded guilty to stealing in Maplewood;
- On Sept. 19, 2011, he pleaded guilty to petty larceny in Bridgeton;
- On April 4, 2011, he pleaded guilty to petty larceny in Bridgeton;
- On July 12, 2010, he pleaded guilty to stealing in Richmond Heights;
- On Jan. 22, 2009, he pleaded guilty to stealing in Bridgeton.
Williams also was on probation after pleading guilty in 2011 to a burglary in University City.
Bail was set at $5,000 for Williams.
For more crime information on University City Patch, see the following articles: