School Board to Vote on $19.4 Million Bond Issue
The Board of Education for the School District of University City will decide whether to place the issue on the April 2013 ballot.
The Board of Education for the School District of University City is slated to meet at 7 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 13, at the district's McNair Administration Building.
The board is set to decide whether to place a $19.4 million no-tax increase bond issue on the April 2013 ballot. A school facilities committee recommended the bond issue at a board workshop meeting Nov. 1.
The committee, which met several times this fall, had three overall recommendations for the board. They are:
- The School District of University City place a $19.4 million, no tax rate increase bond issue on the April 2, 2013 ballot
- The projects to be covered by the bond issue are the Tier 1 projects (as shown below), followed by the Tier 2 projects; which administration and the Board of Education should select from the Tier 2 projects to complete the $19.4 million
- The Board of Education directs the administration to develop and the Board should adopt a long-range plan to address major projects and future bond issues.
The board accepted the report at its November meeting. Items proposed to be covered by the bond issue are listed below. The projects were prioritized by the facilities committee after hearing presentations from school personnel on district needs.
Tier 1 Projects
|Location||Project||Total Cost Estimate||Life Safety/ADA||Program Need|
|UCHS||Library and classroom addition||$8,675,000||X|
|Fourth floor renovations||$1,794,000||X||X|
|Gymnasium roof replacement - competition gym||$1,020.000||X|
|Gymnasium roof replacement - practice gyms||$742,000||X|
|Gymnasium HVAC replacement - competition gym||$588,000||X|
|Gymnasium HVAC replacement - practice gym||$280,000||X|
|Athletic Department renovations||$2,811,000||X|
|Stadium ADA modifications||$50,000||X|
|Athletic practice field reconditioning||$70,000|
|Natatorium upgrades (painting and pool deck lighting)||$150,000||X|
|Brittany Woods||New elevator||$252,000||X|
|Replace all old lockers||$151,000||X|
|Gym and locker room renovations (HVAC, sound system)||$682,000||X|
|Band room, choir room and art room renovation||$112,000||X|
|Flynn Park||Replace windows||$319,000||X|
|Jackson Park||Replace windows||$285,000||X|
Other items on the agenda include:
Superintendent's Reports, Recommendations
- Highly Qualified Staff Recommendations
- Pershing Elementary School Donation
- University City High School Donation
- Washington D.C. Educational Trip Sponsors
- Bond Resolution: Calling the Election
- Preliminary Election Resolution
- School Improvement Plan – Brittany Woods Middle School/UCHS
- General Liability Insurance Renewal
- Updated Fiscal Year 2012-2013 Budget
Board Member Resolution
- Resolution to Declare Surplus Real Estate
The meeting is open to the public.