University City Patch teams up with neighboring Patch sites each week to round up events and happenings in the area. Here are our picks for this week.
Monday, July 2
- The City of University City has joined the Cool Down St. Louis movement and asks residents to check on elderly family members and neighbors during the extreme weather expected through August 31. To learn more and find a cooling center, visit the University City website.
- The Styled Band will play at Monday night’s installment of the Starlight Concert Series at Heman Park in University City. The free show starts at 6:30 p.m. and is open to the public. Learn more at the city’s website.
- The St. Louis County Library Headquarters is hosting an event with Ridley Pearson, author of The Risk Agent, on Monday at 7 p.m. Pearson is a national bestselling author who has published more than 25 crime fiction novels as well as 12 popular adventure novels for young adults. Learn more at the library’s website.
Tuesday, July 3
- Love to read? Kids ages 9 to 12 can head to the St. Louis County Library headquarters on Tuesday for the Book Bites book club. This month’s selection is The Popularity Papers by Amy Ignatow. Free copies are available for loan from the Children’s Desk. Learn more at the library’s website.
- Working out your genealogy? Learn how to use AncestryLibraryEdition.com on Tuesday at the St. Louis County Library Headquarters. Registration required, but walk-ins will be given an opportunity five minutes after class starts if there are registered members who don’t show up. See the library’s website for additional information.
Wednesday, July 4
- Wednesday is Independence Day. Most government offices, banks and some businesses will be closed in honor of the holiday. Area libraries are also closed. Check out this list of area celebrations and fireworks displays to find an event that works best for your family.
Thursday, July 5
- Junior readers can join Book Bites Jr. club at the St. Louis County Library on Thursday at 6 p.m. for a discussion of this month’s selection, Bad Kitty vs. Uncle Murray by Nick Bruel. Pick up your copy at the Children’s Desk. Learn more at the library’s website.
- Young scientists can drop by the Children’s Area on Thursday for a fun hands-o science activity in the Curiosity Lab. Learn more at the library’s website.
- Mystery lovers who enjoy reading can join the ranks of the Mystery Lovers’ Book Club on Thursday at 10 a.m. at the St. Louis County Library Headquarters. Learn more at the library’s website.
Friday, July 6
- The zoo comes to you on Friday at 2 p.m. at the St. Louis County Library Headquarters when reptile handler Serengeti Steve comes to exhibit his favorite reptilian friends in the Reptile Experience. Learn more at the library’s website.
Saturday, July 7
- The Clayton Farmers’ Market is open on Saturday from 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at Straub’s at 8282 Forsyth.
- Exclusively Yours will play at Jimmy’s Café on the Park in Clayton on Saturday beginning at 8 p.m.
- The St. Louis Genealogical Society African American Special Interest Group will meet at the St. Louis County Library Headquarters on Saturday at 11 a.m. for a roundtable discussion on the obstacles of Black Sheep research. Learn more at the library’s website.
Sunday, July 8