Green Center, Camp CentCom Deadlines Approaching
Camp registrations deadlines are fast approaching.
Looking for a great local summer camp for the kids? Look no further - there are several camps in and around University City.
Green Center's Nature Explorer Camps
The Green Center’s Nature Explorer Camps will allow students to explore our prairie, forest, wetland, greenhouse and discovery garden outdoor classrooms.
Programming will take place both indoors and outdoors. Students should dress appropriately for the weather. Please note: Students do need to bring a lunch each day.
Registration deadlines are May 21 for Session I of the Nature Photography Camp; May 28 for the Nature Play Camp and July 16 for Session II of the Nature Photography Camp.
- Nature Play Camp — This 5-day camp will reconnect children to nature and offer them experiences to explore, discover and interact with the natural environment. The camp for 5-7 year olds runs from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. June 18-22 and is $125.
- Nature Photography Camp — Students will learn the basics of using a digital camera, develop their photography skills by taking pictures in the natural settings of our outdoor spaces and participate in a variety of photography projects using their own photos. Cameras will be provided for students to use. Session I runs from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. June 4-8 and Session II is Aug. 6-10. Session I is for 8-11 year olds and Session II is for those 12-14 years old. The cost is $125.
U City’s Summer Camp and Teen Activities Programs
Children ages 5-14 will have a blast at the city’s Summer Camp and Teen Activities Programs, which include swimming, tennis, field trips, arts and crafts and more.
The programs (for ages 5-14) will run for eight weeks (June 11-August 3) at Centennial Commons.
Summer camps being offered this year include:
- Camp B4 and After: A before (7:30-9 a.m.) and after (3- 5:30 p.m.) camp program. Breakfast and afternoon snack provided, an additional fee applies.
- Camp CentCom: An extended (August 6-17) camp program held at Centennial Commons. Breakfast and afternoon snack provided and an additional fee applies.
Summer camp rates are as follows:
- Summer Camp Program (8 weeks): Res: $460; NR: $600
- Summer Camp Program (2 wk. sessions): Res: $115; NR: $150
- Teen Activities Program (8 weeks): Res: $540; NR: $700
- Teen Activities Program (2 wk. sessions): Res: $135; NR: $175
- Camp B4 and After: (8 weeks): Res: $360; NR: $460
- Camp B4 and After: (2 wk. session): Res: $90; NR: $115
- Camp CentCom: Res: $155; NR: $200
Children may register for all eight weeks or for two-week sessions. Scholarships are available for University City residents who meet income guideline requirements and Parkview Gardens Neighborhood residents. The Association provides scholarships for those children who live within their residential boundaries. For more information, call 314-505-8625.
Open registration available now until Saturday, May 12, at Centennial Commons. For inquiries, call 314.505.8625.
University City High School Athletic Boosters Sports Camps
The camp is for U City residents/students completing grades 3-7 and runs from 8:30 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. June 11-15. The 20 different sport sessions will be held at University City High School,Heman Park Tennis Courts and Jack Buck Baseball Field and Ruth Park Golf Course.
This is a great way for kids to try out a new sport or improve skills in a sport they love. Students are welcome to attend a full day of camp with 4 clinics and a supervised lunch, or to choose only one or two sports clinics.
The UMSL girls leadership camp will be held June 24-27.
The camp is for high school girls (incoming high school freshmen to seniors in the fall and outgoing seniors). This is a great summer opportunity for preparing students for the future, college and beyond.
There also is an ACT-Preparation Workshop after the camp on July 11, from 5:30 to 8:30 p.m. for campers and parents.
The program is focusing on traditional majors and non-traditional majors and occupations. Ranken Technical College, a sponsor, is offering scholarships to participants interested in technology.
2012 Adventure Academy
Registration is now open for the 2012 camps Adventure Academy. Click here to register.
This year Ranken is again hosting two weeks of fun and learning at the annual Ranken Adventure Academy. The first week of camps will be for middle school students and the second week is for high school students. This is a new and exciting way for students to learn about technology!
Each camp has incorporated activities for the students to design, create and work with hands-on projects. Most of the courses include unique projects that the students will be able to take home. The camps range from building go-karts or robotics to designing and manufacturing jewelry.
- Middle School (ages 11-14): July 16 - 20
- High School (ages 14-16): July 23-27
The $95 fee includes: lunch, snacks, tools, equipment, projects and fun activities with experienced instructors.